Tuesday, November 6, 2012

DIY: Laptop Case



Fortunetly, I was able to replace the screen to my laptop, when it cracked about a month ago. (By purchasing on Amazon, and having Bryan do the hard labor.)



I knew I was going to have to buy a laptop case to protect the new screen. However, I didn't find any I loved enough to shell out money for, so I decided to make my own.



I found the brown quilter's padding in the remnant bin at Jo-Ann's. The floral fabric is from Fancy Tiger Crafts. Last but not least, an 18 inch zipper that matches the fabric.



First, I traced the perimeter of my laptop with a Sharpie onto card stock. The thickness of the pen, made the outline wider than the laptop, which allowed for seam allowance.




I traced the card stock pattern onto both the quilter's padding and the fabric. I pinned and stitched them together.



To allow the laptop to easily slide in and out of the case, I added a one inch edging between the two side panels.



Install the zipper, ensuring both side panels line up evenly on both sides.

 

On the first side, pin the edge to the side panel and sew. Turn the case inside out and pin and sew the other side.


All sewn up!


 Flip right side out and you are ready to go!

Featured On:


TutusandTeaParties

23 comments:

  1. Great work!!! Nice fabric! Thanks so much for sharing the great tutorial! I'd love for you to visit my blog.
    Happy week!

    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by! Consider me your newest follower!

      Delete
  2. Nice! I've been looking for a new laptop case, but maybe I should follow your tutorial and make my own! Would love it if you linked up on my blog hop www.w-t-fab.com/search/label/bloghop. Also let me know if you'd like to follow each other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was searching for months for a new laptop case, but I couldn't find any that I absolutely loved for the price. Thanks for the invite to link up to your blog hop! Consider me your newest follower!

      Delete
  3. Katie, this is adorable! I LOVE the fabric you chose. Thanks for linking it up to The Weekly Creative :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! Hope you and the hubs are well!

      Delete
  4. Great laptop case. I love it. I have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party and would love to have you share this with everyone. Here is the link to the party.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/11/wednesday-adorned-from-above-link-party.html
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by and inviting me to your link party! I'm headed there now to link up!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for linking up to the WTFab Blog Hop. This looks great! Hope your laptop stays safe!
    Rebecca
    www.heronscrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks great! I need to make one for my laptop :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. super cute! Love the color/fabric choices. Thank you for sharing at impatiently crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for linking with last weeks Wednesday's Adorned From Above Link Party. This weeks party is opened and I would love to have you share any of your posts. The link for the party is
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/11/wednesdays-adorned-from-above-link_14.html
    I can't wait to see what you have been up to.
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea, and thanks for the tutorial!! You did an awesome job. I just noticed you work in education, too! I think every child in my room was sneezing today. LOL I'm so excited because I'm off all week for Thanksgiving Break. I sure need it. Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent!! I am so happy to have you. I'm still trying to make my rounds on the link ups. Have a wonderful weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I never noticed how gross children can be until I worked in a school! Enjoy your break, I only have Weds- Sun off, but I'll take it!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for this great post, i find it very interesting and very well thought out and put together. I look forward to reading your work in the future. laptop

    ReplyDelete